There has been an active Christian presence in our parish for well over 700 years. This is our history.
While the present church building in Fulmer was built in the reign of King James I, in 1610, the story of the church in Fulmer goes back much further. Records indicate that the original church, positioned in a damp, marshy spot just a short distance further up the Alderbourne Valley, existed from at least the 13th century onwards. The present building was consecrated by the Bishop of Lincoln, whose diocese extended as far south as Fulmer in those days! During the Victorian era the chancel was substantially rebuilt and a new south aisle and vestry were added.
St James Gerrards Cross (“GX”) was originally built in 1859 by two sisters, Anna and Louisa Reid, as a memorial to their brother. Their aim wasto provide a place of worship for the residents of those who lived in scattered dwellings around the common, and along what was the main London to Oxford road. With the arrival of the railway at the beginning of the 20th century the population of Gerrards Cross grew rapidly from several hundred to several thousand. A flourishing church grew to reach out and serve the spiritual needs of this expanding community. The present building is in the shape of a Latin cross and its Byzantine appearance created quite a stir in 1859 while the country was still in the throes of the Gothic revival.
The two St James came together as one parish (with two parish churches) in 1986. Today the two St James represent a thriving Christian community, continuing to serve and reach out to the people of Fulmer and Gerrards Cross. Although it is only a short journey into London, the parish now falls within the Diocese of Oxford, and alongside churches of all denominations we seek to contribute in a positive way to the wider mission of the church in our nation and around the world.
A more detailed history of the two St James is available from our church office.
In 2012 we re-ordered St James Gerrards Cross, Here is a video slideshow of the church over the years.